Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Like, Another Post: Community Things

Aloha

The illness has passed, and I feel like a new person. How wonderful. However, hat is neither here nor there.


Internets please, b0ss
Although I wasn't able to attend class yesterday, I feel as though it is safe to say that we have, as a collective, been working on initiatives to promote a kind of "conservation" of network resources at the college since last Wednesday. The reason for this shift in our focus is simple: massive consumption of bandwidth by the students for leisure activities is causing severe issues in our connection to the outside world. I guess. There is a clearly a lot to be understood about what exactly is causing network issues on campus, and this is the angle that my classmates and I are most able to approach with solution. 

Therefore, the class has decided that it would be valuable to take time out of our regularly scheduled programming (that was a pun, friends) and attempt to address the issue with the student body.

Our aim is to push our fellow students to adopt a more thoughtful culture concerning network usage, in which they are conscious of the limits of the college's resources and adjust usage in a manner that allows essential systems to work with efficacy. To accomplish this goal, we have been split into four groups, each with a different priority. I chose to work with the group responsible for communications with administration and offices around campus, in order to do things. Things like dissemination of information that may be useful for the students. Missing class yesterday has really put me out of the loop, if that isn't obvious. 

I'll be reporting further on these events as they unfold.

OpenMRS: The Enemy
NOT REALLY
As we continue working on OpenMRS, we are getting nearly everyone built and ready to work, in my knowledge. Again, I'm a tad hamstringed by my absence yesterday. Who knows. I've been exploring a bit through the community and issue tracking for the project, but I haven't put together a module yet for my own exploration and I should probably do that.

Some more things. It's an interesting morning.

-Craig Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment