Sunday, January 17, 2016

Post One: First Looks

Hello.


This is the first post of many to follow my journey through CSC 486, which should be an interesting one considering what I have gathered about the course during the first week of classes. The course is titled Software Engineering, and in it we will be attempting to contribute to some Open Source projects while exploring the FOSS culture. I am looking forward to the class, as I feel that it will cover a lot of valuable material and provide semi-structured exploration into facets of industry that no other course in the Computer Science program are able to.

Dr. Jadud suggested several projects for the class to consider for the course. I think that they are all interesting, and I would be willing to work on any of them. However, if I had to determine the most and least interesting projects to me out of the list, I would have to choose OpenMRS and OctoPrint, respectively. 

I think that the mission of the OpenMRS project is admirable and just awesome, and I think much of the class likely shares my interest in the opportunity to try and help something that will help so many people. To take a step in the other direction, I am not personally very interested in the OctoPrint project because I'm not very interested in 3D-printing myself. I think that 3D-printing has, is, and will continue to revolutionize the world, and it's really cool, but I don't see myself being very involved with it.

At any rate, I'm sure that this will be a course to remember. I anticipate blank stares, zombie-like groans, stress, conversation, and all sorts of hi-jinks, and I'm eager to get started.



-Craig Warner

No comments:

Post a Comment